History in the EYFS
At St Pius X History coverage and progression begins the the EYFS. The main objectives our pupils will cover can be found below.
Understanding the World
In the EYFS children learn about Geography through the 'Understanding the World' element of the curriculum. The Statutory Framework for the EYFS (2017) states, 'Understanding the world involves guiding children to make sense of their physical world and their community through opportunities to explore, observe and find out about people, places, technology and the environment.'
Our primary learning objectives for History in the EYFS can be found below.
Through their learning children will begin to:
- Comprehend the passing of time.
- Develop an understanding of ‘past’ and some people, places and events in history.
- Recognise similarities and differences between things and ways of life at times in the past and now.
- Begin to understand that one historical event is often caused by another.
- Identify that historical events often occur in an order or sequence.
- Use sources, first-hand experiences, and storytelling to construct accounts of past times and people.
- Talk about the roles of significant members of society.
- Acquire new subject vocabulary to create narratives to communicate their developing historical knowledge and understanding.