Mr M Marshall
At St Pius X we teach the French language using Salut published by CGP. This scheme of work uses audio and visual elements in a fun, interactive learning environment presented to the children through the class screen. This is used in conjunction with verbal sentence work and written activities.
Children learn vocabulary and sentence structures, applying this in speaking and listening in one lesson, then use what has been learned in written activities the following week.
- To foster an interest in learning other languages.
- To introduce children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and fun.
- To make children aware that language has structure, and that the structure differs from one language to another.
- To help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries.
- To develop their speaking and listening skills.
- To lay the foundations for future study and to develop language-learning skills that can subsequently be applied to the learning of other languages.
Long Term Planning
- Year 3 (Stage 1) – Core Units 1-3
- Year 4 (Stage 1) – Animals, Food, At School
- Year 5 (Stage 2) – Playtime, My Home, My Town
- Year 6 (Stage 2) – Describing People, The Body, Sport
National Curriculum Coverage
Year 3/4 Tracking (Stage 1)
Year 5/6 Tracking (Stage 2)